Topic: District 12 STATE REPRESENTATIVE FORUM @ Grange THURSDAY

Thursday July 12 - Twisp Valley Grange - 344 W 2nd Ave 
Forum -  6:30 till 8pm -
Doors open at 6pm - and will stay open till 8:30
for visiting with Candidates afterwards.

There will be three out of the Four Candidates running
for Position One: Ann Diamond, Keith Goehner & JD Greening.

All Three Candidates vying for Position Two: Alan Fahnestock, Valerie Sarratt & Mike Steele will be joining us.

Everyone is encouraged to attend. 
Written questions are welcome and will be collected until 7 pm. Primary ballots will be in the mail in less than two weeks!

Re: District 12 STATE REPRESENTATIVE FORUM @ Grange THURSDAY

With written questions being collected is that indicative that only certain questions will be asked and presented to the candidates as in censoring?

Molon Labe
Vern Herrst
Winthrop

No honey, it means that not all questions are appropriate to be exposed to the general public.  Think of it as a talent show.  Some just aint got talent.

Judy Brezina

4 (edited by Jingles 07/10/18 8:56 AM)

Post deleted by administrator for rules violation

Molon Labe
Vern Herrst
Winthrop

Ann Diamond is an Independent.  She is not beholden to either Dems or Reps which is refreshing.
Talk to her and find out what she will do for our district.

Barb Preston

6 (edited by Solstice 07/10/18 4:01 PM)

While I appreciate Ann Diamond's efforts in running for a State Representative position, tough battles are being waged and won in special elections against entrenched Republicans across the country by re-energized Democrats. 

To insinuate that Democrats, especially in Washington State, are "beholden" is insulting.  The current Washington State Democratic Party is headed by a smart, committed team and most if not all elected Democratic State office holders have my support and appreciation.  I feel fortunate to be represented by them given the the toxic political climate that exists in other states.

Running as an Independent may be a helpful political strategy in certain races in Eastern Washington, but real progress will only be achieved by a strong, unified and progressive Democratic Party.

Jim Brennan

Personally, I find it offensive that the candidates chose what to answer and what not. I thought we were electing them. I am reminded of a great Norman Rockwell painting of a hard scrabble man in dirty clothes standing up, hat in hand, asking a question of candidates in a public meeting. The painting portrayed him exercising his rights under the constitution. That was America.  I think this process is jaded and cynical. Bruce Herron Wolf Creek

Bruce Herron Wolf Creek

Bruce,

It's been my experience in attending candidate forums at the Grange that the questions are chosen from those written by the audience at the event. 

They are selected by a moderator or moderating team and not by the candidates themselves who are not privy to what will be asked before they are asked.

We don't need any more cynicism than what currently is floating around.  My thanks to the Twisp Valley Grange for hosting this event.  Hope to see you there.

Jim Brennan

I very much appreciate the Grange hosting these events.
Of maybe 35 questions submitted by the audience many will be essentially the same question. As a matter of being expeditious they consolidate the questions.
Or we could sit there for hours listening to the candidates answering the same question over and over.. aha NO~
Hats off to the Grange for hosting these events and making a concerted effort to providing conscientious, fair and expeditious  monitoring. 
THANK YOU TWISP GRANGE!!!
Ronda Bradeen

Solstice/Jim: I appreciate your perspective and respect your opinion. My view is that a "forum" is an interchange of ideas without restriction. A mutually respectful conversation. In my view we are all equal and what is an issue to me, may not be an issue for you, however the first amendment indicates that we all have a right to express our opinion in this discourse. Frankly I am tired of pols deciding how these conversations should occur, through media, twitter or otherwise. The constituents voice must be heard or there is no democracy,, Bruce Herron Wolf Creek

Bruce Herron Wolf Creek

11 (edited by Jingles 07/11/18 6:55 AM)

Even though I disagree with the apparent canned format for questions, mainly because who gets the questions decides what is important to the individual voter, who do we submit questions to ahead of time?

Molon Labe
Vern Herrst
Winthrop

12 (edited by finns 07/11/18 9:56 AM)

Ok, so for some clarification on submitting questions and how that works.

The candidates receive two questions ahead of time so that they can prepare a response with a bit more thought. Those questions are what are asked at the beginning of the Forum. That gives us the time needed to gather the questions submitted by attendees.

As stated in the notice, you can submit questions up until 7 p.m.  You write the questions down on a piece of paper and put them in a basket. They are then given to a couple of Grange folks that look at the questions, determine if it is a repeat question, and if so they put all the same questions into a pile and then look at what they have overall. They then pick out a couple of questions to be asked during the Forum. The most likely ones chosen are questions that have been asked by multiple people.

Unfortunately, not all questions can be asked due to time constraints.

Also, the questions are answered by all candidates, they do not get different questions.

We do not "censor" questions. The handling of the submitted questions is handled with extreme integrity.

Hope to see you there!

Susan Finn, Twisp WA

It would be nice to see a list of the rejected questions (and who asked it) posted somewhere so that we know what's being ~censored~. Censor is not a bad word, it is however a descriptive word and probably applies.

Censor definition:
1. an official who examines books, plays, news reports, motion pictures, radio and television programs, letters, cablegrams, etc., for the purpose of suppressing parts deemed objectionable on moral, political, military, or other grounds.

We all have biases, many of which we're not aware of. At least by posting the questions that weren't able to be asked (either because of time, vulgarity, lack of civility or whatever) we can learn what type of question are the ones that don't get answered.

Ed Menendez - Twisp

So basically what Susan is saying the candidates will be given 2 questions where they can prepare their typical Political double speak. However when put on the spot for spontaneous answers without some study some one else decides if the questions might be detrimental to a candidates potential to get elected.

Molon Labe
Vern Herrst
Winthrop

15 (edited by biglakejudy 07/12/18 5:48 AM)

I would suggest that you attend the Grange meetings and see it when it is a work of progress.  We are a diverse group with a deep and interesting background that spans many areas that include high to no education, a huge range of careers/jobs and involved to no party affliation.  The common binder is brutally open minds and the intense drive to make our community better.

We give freely of our time, one of the most precious commodities there is on earth and will commit to sitting in a room for hours fine tuning a question so that it is fair. 

To have some one rip at us isn't what we are striving for.  Please think about what you say Vern.

Judy Brezina

It sounds like there will be an opportunity to ask the candidates questions aftwards, as well, if you are worried about censorship.

I want people to participate in the election system at its finest.  That's why I put the hours in.  My big interest is the Sheriffs forum and I would heartily suggest that participation in this one should be high on your list of things to do. 
Keep in mind the head sheriff answers to no higher power.  He/she is it.  If you want a shaker and mover that is honest, sincere and willing to make this a good county then be there.

Judy Brezina

> asprague wrote:

> It sounds like there will be an opportunity to ask the candidates questions aftwards, as well, if you are worried about censorship.

You are correct, the last half hour is for direct interaction with the candidates.

Susan Finn, Twisp WA

> Jingles wrote:

> So basically what Susan is saying the candidates will be given 2 questions where they can prepare their typical Political double speak. However when put on the spot for spontaneous answers without some study some one else decides if the questions might be detrimental to a candidates potential to get elected.

I don't see any reason why they can't have a couple of questions ahead of time.  I'm looking forward to seeing the difference between the response they have to questions they know ahead of time and how they respond to on-the-spot questions.

If you look at it as a way to see how they handle themselves in multiple situations, then it's not the paranoid censorship situation that you seem to be fixated on.

We hope that you will attend the Forum Vern to see for yourself how it works.

Susan Finn, Twisp WA

At this time I am planning on attending and have a couple of questions I'd like answered either during the meeting or afterwards if possible before I make any decision as to who to support and vote for.
Questions that I think would/should be important to everyone.

Molon Labe
Vern Herrst
Winthrop