Topic: Loop Loop

anyone have news on the road ?

2 (edited by daveb 04/10/17 7:50 AM)

Re: Loop Loop

It's going to be closed for a while. 70' washout of about half the roadway. you can find pcitures here: http://okanogandem.org/ click on alerts map. http://okanogandem.org/temp/2017-04-06_sr20/DJI_0051.JPG

Another link for Loup Loup Pass info:  http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/passes/LoupLoup/default.aspx

David Wilkinson

Need to visit WallyWorld?  Chelan is about 20 miles closer than Omak right now.

David Wilkinson

> oldtimer wrote:

> Need to visit WallyWorld?  Chelan is about 20 miles closer than Omak right now.

We prefer the Chelan Wally. A cleaner store and wider aisles.   Tends to be a bit less crowded as well AND there are fewer Wall-Martians...

Dan Crocker

Post removed for lack of signature.  BB Staff

7 (edited by RG 04/10/17 11:03 AM)

Post removed for lack of signature.  BB Staff

8 (edited by CrockersCommonSense 04/10/17 8:45 PM)

This post was deleted because it requires a full name.  Pls sign your opinion posts in the future.  Thank you.  BB staff

> CrockersCommonSense wrote:

> It seems to me that its time to install larger culverts in these trouble spots. The ones in place now aren't big enough to handle the mud and debris that is generated seasonally by weather conditions here.
While I agree that, to me, some or many culverts seem inadequate, They worked pretty well until so much burned.  Hopefully, as repairs are made, culvert sizes will be increased.

David Wilkinson

After the fires I was amazed last summer when we spent 3 months traveling to and from Alaska via the Alaska Hwy.  The culverts along that route are HUGE.  Like 15-20 feet across.  No dinky 3 and 4 footers or whatever WA DOT puts under the highways around here.  No sticks or mud flows will block the culverts up north.  Around here, all the time seems to be the norm after the fires.

George Brown
Twisp, WA

11 (edited by bobcat 04/12/17 7:20 AM)

Many undersized culverts have been replaced to accommodate salmon recovery.  There was much criticism of the culvert at Beaver Crk. and highway 153.  It was labeled the whale culvert.  The original culvert was a 5ft square concrete culvert.  I remember seeing water backed up almost to the roadway level, about 20ft deep with multiple logs circling like you-know-what in the toilet bowl.  While Beaver Crk may be small in summer, in spring it can be a raging torrent carrying whole cottonwood trees.   Replacing culverts is hugely expensive.  So it is easy to criticize but more difficult to account for where the money supply is.

Gary Ott

This post was deleted because it requires a full name.  Pls sign your opinion posts in the future.  Thank you.  BB staff

Some scuttlebutt: 

A FEDEX driver provided an estimate of three months for the Loup to open.   Another well-connected source indicated sometime in June.

Bottom line, The North Cascade Highway will most likely be open before the Loup this year.  As far as I know, this is unprecedented.

For me, it is also another example of the effects of climate change/global warming.  Those who deny it, including federal, state and local agencies, do so at their own peril.

Jim Brennan

I rode my bike through both closures today. No one was at either site. It would be good to see a sense of urgency with the repairs. If the ground is too unstable to begin work the public needs to be updated consistently.
Reed Gracie

Wheres all the long term recovery money? Isnt this exactly what that money is for?
Pat Hale

> eastforkdork wrote:

> Wheres all the long term recovery money? Isnt this exactly what that money is for?
Pat Hale

I don't think it's a money issue. It's an issue of the hillside not being stable enough to be repaired yet and Engineering figuring out how they're going to fix these extreme Road failures.

For god sakes people these are significant failures that can't just be patched up at a moment's notice. Let's give these guys a bit of a break and give them some time to get things figured out before beating up on them.

Susan Finn, Twisp WA

> finns wrote:

> > eastforkdork wrote:

> Wheres all the long term recovery money? Isnt this exactly what that money is for?
Pat Hale

Sue Finn wrote:
I don't think it's a money issue. It's an issue of the hillside not being stable enough to be repaired yet and Engineering figuring out how they're going to fix these extreme Road failures.

For god sakes people these are significant failures that can't just be patched up at a moment's notice. Let's give these guys a bit of a break and give them some time to get things figured out before beating up on them.

Bobcat says:  Besides, the long term recovery money has been used to help people that lost their homes to fire and needed help. Ask some of the many people that received help and see how many complain. Highway maintenance is paid for by the Dept. Of Transportation.

Gary Ott

Finns
Where did you get the current status information about the condition of the hillside and the engineering time frame? Please post more updates.
Reed Gracie