Re: Taking Responsibility Online

When I first read this my first impression was that it was a good idea.  Now I'm not completely sure.  It is possible that some people have good reason for anonymity.  They may be hiding from a violent ex-spouse or something.  They may express  opinions that although are reasonable inflame someone who disagrees and has a violent tendency.  This may seem unlikely but who knows.
   Then there is the question of posting links.  Some social media has new policies banning fake news sites and politically irresponsible inflammatory input.  It won't remove such information from the internet but social media does not have to contribute to  misinformation by allowing it on their sites.  Some of the posters on the BB have posted long lists of fake news that is nothing more than extremist political propaganda and sometimes it is clearly obvious that they haven't read them themselves. Some of these same posters cut and paste information from these same sites without punctuation to indicate that it is not their own words, but plagiarism.  It seems appropriate to use links to validate ones point of view but how can that be allowed when the posting of links has been so completely abused.  Sometimes the same links have been  posted repeatedly by the same poster over and over for years.  I agree with Ronda it is not constructive discourse.  I have presented some questions and don't know the answers.  Any one that has been paying attention for awhile knows that bobcat is Gary Ott.

Gary Ott

It's just sad you did this the week before Apple Cup.  Dang.
Rick Lewis- (and Go Cougs!!!)

Rick Lewis

I think one work around to provide documentation would be a description such as "on MSNBC under breaking news" or some such making it easy to find. Including a comment as to why you think it is worth finding. Instead of the: "read this!!!" followed by a half a dozen links which, as you say, have been included numerous times.

My opinion is that this is a big improvement!

Agreed it is a problem for those who consider anonymity an important issue and if they have a good reason, perhaps something could be arrange with the powers that be?     

Ronda Bradeen

24 (edited by bobcat 11/19/16 4:56 PM)

bobcat wrote:

"When I first read this my first impression was that it was a good idea.  Now I'm not completely sure.  It is possible that some people have good reason for anonymity.  They may be hiding from a violent ex-spouse or something.  They may express  opinions that although are reasonable inflame someone who disagrees and has a violent tendency.  This may seem unlikely but who knows."

Well actually it is not so unlikely considering that during the BB debates about wolves someone posted a google earth image of cosmic rose's home complete with coordinates.  I don't remember who did this as there were many anti-wolf posters from Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming involved in the debate.  Shortly later her phone (internet) line was mysteriously cut.  I was also the recipient of an in person death threat one day in the grocery store for expressing my opinions on the BB about wolves.  And while I am not afraid to identify and take credit for my posts some may choose not to post at all without anonymity and I don't blame them.  I believe it important to not let bullies threaten me or anyone else into silence.  With this in mind I would support the continued option for anonymity.  Anyone that abuses that privilege with inappropriate postings should be banned.
   Anyone that has been paying attention for awhile knows that bobcat is Gary Ott.

Gary Ott

25 (edited by bobcat 11/30/16 7:46 PM)

I also wonder about the non-functioning quote button.  Without it, it is possible for someone to delete or alter what a poster is responding to, or create confusion about which poster is being responded to.Gary Ott

Gary Ott

oambiennto you might note that methownet provides this BB for FREE to the general public regardless of which internet carrier you subscribe. Regardless of where you live. Zero restriction on participation until a participant violates the standards that they have determined are functional.
They aren't Big Brother they are a neighbor offering a FREE service and they provide the band width, the management etc. to make it available as a public service!!! AT THEIR EXPENSE!!!
And yes, they get to call a halt when they see more mud being slung than they want to be tossed around under their banner.
Kinda like if you are two bloody obnoxious when standing on my deck I might kick you off! I might even tell you not to come back!
Get it???
They are offering this to all of us FOR FREE!
I for one, say THANK YOU!
Ronda Bradeen

27 (edited by mr_coffee 11/19/16 10:04 PM)

I've been running and participating in online forums for over thirty years.  Bluntly, I suspect that I was very active in using them and developing software for them long before many people on this forum ever actually *touched* a computer.  Maybe that is my ego talking...

What I learned is that these kinds of problems are not at all new.  And the debates they spark are not new either.  What I learned through experience is that neither libertarian "anything goes" systems nor heavily censored totalitarian systems work very well.  What seemed to work best was a kind of benevolent junta that would take the responsibility to delete messages, ban topics, and sometimes ban users that were harming the community.

I say "benevolent junta" because a benevolent dictatorship would be (1) needlessly centralized, and (2) limited to one point of view, and (3) too much damned work for one person.

Please also keep in mind that this bulletin board is a free service, offered out of the generosity of the owners here.  People who are not paying customers of methownet, and indeed people who do not even live here, are welcome to post and share their points of view.  That means, at heart, that the good people at methownet owe us absolutely nothing and that if this forum becomes more trouble than it is worth they should absolutely scrap it.

... aka David Bonn

David Bonn

Gobble gobble... cosmicly speaking

Rose M. Hughes

((¯`v´¯))
  .`*.¸.*´*¸.•*¨`*•..¸Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve. Rose Hughes, Brookings Oregon

I'm good with it all. This change in the rules will make the BB more like having a discussion with your friends and acquaintances over a cup of coffee at the local diner or your kitchen table and less like lobbing hand grenades at each other from our foxholes.

Seems to me that there are some "grenade lobbers" missing from this thread. Come on, you can do it, put the pin back in the hole, poke your head up out of your bunker and post to this thread. It's liberating!

John F. Okoneski - Everett/Mazama

We have seen Judy absolutely vilified by anonymous posters, time and again. Called names, denigrated, insulted etc. NEVER by anyone who signed their name.
That alone is enough for me to support the new policy.
Then there are the posters who are very abusive and then vanish and then in the same day or the next another poster with the same views (and similar grammar and syntax) pops up under another name.
It is not a perfect system but it is an improvement!
Ronda Bradeen

Bravo people. The anonymous posts and the vitriol have bugged me for a long time.
Thanks for the bulletin board ya crazy kids.

Andy McConkey

"> gonzo57 wrote:

> I'm good with it all. This change in the rules will make the BB more like having a discussion with your friends and acquaintances over a cup of coffee at the local diner or your kitchen table and less like lobbing hand grenades at each other from our foxholes.

Seems to me that there are some "grenade lobbers" missing from this thread. Come on, you can do it, put the pin back in the hole, poke your head up out of your bunker and post to this thread. It's liberating!

John F. Okoneski - Everett/Mazama"

Well said gonzo!  It will indeed be interesting if a couple of the folks that have refused to ever identify themselves just go away with the handle they were using.  I suppose they may show up on the BB as a new user sometime in the future with a new user name and their personal name to be in compliance. They will think that we won't be able to figure out who they were. My guess is that their rhetoric won't change a lot so they may give away who they were.

Thank you Methownet for bringing the BB back to the way it was when I first started participating back in 2009 when I first came to the valley and discovered the BB.  Things were definitely getting way out of control and unpleasant.

I look forward to interesting and sometimes hard conversations that are done in a more respectful manner.

Susan Finn

Susan Finn, Twisp WA

I think Methownet is going in the right direction. I like to use BB for local info and sale and selling of items, not all the strange opinions. Thanks Methownet!!!              John Cady- Pine Forest/Lynden

John Cady

RIGHT ON!!  It has been a shame for people to write such vile stuff and not sign it.  I used the term Chicken S... years ago.  Thanks for making this change.

Jerry Merz

Good move!

Chris Johns

Regarding the time stamp being off.  You need to go to your profile, select settings, and then uncheck the daylight savings time box.

Susan Finn, Twisp WA

I, also, applaud these changes. Now we try a little kindness.

Is there any way to add photos to post with the new changes?

I bumped up some old posts of mine with photos of items for sale but now the photos don't show.

Kjell Bagge

But.  Boring. Don't we all miss L...sh.t?  And Rideback's oh-so-patient rebuttals?
Or not.

Steve Burtchaell
Winthrop

Steve Burtchaell

I just get tired of the blogs from you know who that keep bumping down the importand stuff we need on the BB (the FS, free, and community info etc.) We all have the internet so we can look up the news etc. on our own..

Doug Aaron

Doug Aaron