Topic: Taking Responsibility Online

We’ve watched with concern as news reports have connected social media and links to false news stories to the uptick in divisive, volatile rhetoric in our country. We have concluded that our bulletin board is playing a role by allowing posters to anonymously cite so-called “facts” and, in the name of free speech, use them to bully anyone who disagrees.

As of today we are changing the rules for personal opinion and open discussion posts.  We welcome civil discourse as long as it complies with the following rules:

1. Posters must include their real names on every opinion post.

2. Offsite links are not allowed.

3. You must share your opinion in your own words and keep it civil.

We also are changing the site relative to all posts by removing the option to subscribe to a topic.

The Methownet.com bulletin board will continue to be a free public service providing a public forum for buying, selling, trading, public service announcements and civil discourse.  We reserve the right to delete any post. And we appreciate your help monitoring the board’s content.

-- Jeff, Maria and the Methownet.com Staff

Re: Taking Responsibility Online

WELL DONE AND THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ronda Bradeen

I agree thank you for taking a stand, Bruce Herron aka The Karlukkid

Bruce Herron Wolf Creek

Thanks, all at Methownet!

Christopher Behrens

Christopher Behrens

BRAVO! Noted: Nov 18, 2016, 12:13 pm. I'll be watching! Thanks again!
Laura Howson

This is your website and you are free to run it any way you wish.  My own opinion is that your policy changes are likely to be constructive.

Regards,

Mr_coffee aka David Bonn

David Bonn

Thank you methownet!  I know too much already.
My opinion is that the importance of much that has been posted is in the mind of the poster.
oldtimer David Wilkinson

David Wilkinson

HOORAY HOORAY HOORAY.   I am so thrilled to see this board maybe return to a civil fun filled and at times a place for lively debate.  Thank you again.  biglakejudy  Judy Brezina.

Judy Brezina

Thank you MethowNet!
Chris Johnson

Ha..ha..ha..everyone I thought was a woman turned out to be...a man.
  Charlene Mcghee , Machias wa...after living in the Methow for 25 years..Miss the Methow, but...not the...fires, or the lost of lives.
Thank you Methownet.

Thumbs up!
Rick Lewis

Rick Lewis

Hay...what you think about Trumps  new attorney general??
Jeff Sessions 420 guy...can you say federal law...maybe you can send
some to help out trumps anxiety...

Daniel Daniel Daniel.
They were very clear, no links.
This to my mind, encourages open conversation.
State YOUR opinion and YOUR conclusions IN YOUR OWN WORDS!!!
As opposed to assigning reading lists which is NOT conversation and exchange of ideas and viewpoint.
I am stating my view of what they intend and my concept of why.
Ronda Bradeen

And again THANK YOU METHOWNET!!!!!!!!!!!

You know something.  I wondered myself why Daniel was pushing so hard.  They just gave us the rules and the rules seem fine to me.  Just follow them.  Easy sneezy.  Judy Brezina

Judy Brezina

Daniel, we have a difference of opinion.

The 'links' that have been proliferated have been rife with fake news, dubious at best sources, over and over. I applaud the decisions that Methownet made.

If this makes you uncomfortable, don't participate!

I VERY much appreciate the BB. When building here in 2010 there was a wealth of information made available to me here that was fantastic. I found siding and flooring for my tiny cabin that saved me hundreds of dollars. I have time and again ask what had to sound like stupid questions and have received patient and knowledgeable replies. AND offers of help AND made good friends!

As has been said, Methownet offers this VERY VALUABLE BB to our community for free. They get to pick what is and is not allowed and I support their position on links and making an effort to curtail fake news and inflammatory postings and encouraging actual thoughtful discussion.

Regards

Ronda Bradeen

Just wondering...   It looks like all bb codes are disabled (quote, img, url, etc)...  Is this the new format/rules for the  bb?

Ray Peterson - Winthrop

Many, many thanks to MethowNet.  This will be a refreshing and welcome change.  I appreciate your stand.
Gary Erickson

Gary Erickson

19 (edited by mikeparks 11/19/16 8:22 AM)

Take it to Facebook Daniel. Looks like your "eveningsky" has turned to nighttime on this BB.

And goodbye Longshot. So glad we don't have to scroll past your trash links anymore.

Mike Parks  (obviously)

I remember that treebreeze set up his own BB and invited everyone to join.  Some did, but I don't know if it's still going.  He does have a FB page.

David Wilkinson

David Wilkinson